Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Presidential Inauguration, The Obamas, and other randomness

I know it's been awhile since I've blogged, but things have been busy around here. Roman came down with a virus that gave him a 104 degree fever, then once he was better, I came down with the same thing. I've also been trying to scrap all our Christmas photos, so I can start on Roman's Valentines. I'll post pictures of those later.

Like a lot of people, I've been watching all the Inaugural activities; the speeches, the parade, the interviews. But by far, my favorite interview was the one Barbara Walters did about a month ago with President Obama and Michelle. Both of the Obamas were so laid back, joking around with Barbara, and teasing each other. But the best part for me, was where they talked about parenting their children. They will still expect their girls to make their beds, do their chores, scoop their dog's poop, etc, even after moving into the White House, where typically they are waited on hand and foot. I loved how they talked about how they don't buy their children Christmas gifts, because they are so spoiled by the rest of the family, that they concentrate more on the actual meaning of Christmas, not on the secular aspect of "getting stuff". They discussed the fact that many of Obama's new staff had small children, so they were committed to making the White House a more "kid-friendly" place to be. It is obviously a work place, but for the Obamas and those who work 20 hour days, it is also home, and it is wonderful to see someone trying to make the best situation possible for their employees and their families.

I love that there will be small children in the White House again. I have to admit, it was always a fantasy of mine to be one of those kids who grew up there, even for a few years. Even if I had to make my own bed. :-)

Love, T.

No comments: